Summer Sizzler Registration
2020 SUMMER SIZZLER SOFTBALL TOURNAMENT
Firestone Stadium, Pony Field, Diamond Crystal & Logan Fields
Akron, Ohio · July 10 - 12, 2020
Tournament fee: $550.00
(Includes a non-refundable administrative fee of $125.00)
$25.00 of the registration fee will benefit the
Racers Charities’ Breast Cancer Initiative!
Deadlines: Registration June 26, 2020/ Payment Due July 3, 2020
To register your team for the 2020 Summer Sizzler, go to
The Racers Foundation tournament provides an opportunity for area softball teams to compete at a high level of play at Firestone Stadium and surrounding Akron area fields.
· 5-Game Guarantee (3 game pool play; double elimination tournament).
· 16-team maximum per division.
· Two umpires per game.
· Game balls will be provided.
· Tournament trophies awarded.
· Tournament t-shirts available.
Joey Arrietta, President/Director of Fastpitch Operations - email@example.com
Zac Bissell, Assistant Director of Fastpitch Operations – firstname.lastname@example.org
Firestone Stadium Administrative Offices – 330-376-8188 (o) 330-620-2216 (m)
· Mail Check/Money Order to:
1575 Firestone Parkway
Akron, OH 44301
will not be refunded 30 days prior to the start of the tournament.Registration fees
Refunds will be issued if games are cancelled due to weather as follows:
One game played 50% of the registration fee minus the non-refundable administrative fee.No games played 85% of the registration fee minus the non-refundable administrative fee.
Two games played no refund will be issued.
· Check-In with tournament director at Firestone Stadium at least 30 minutes prior to your first game. Bring a copy of your signed ASA roster and proof of insurance BEFORE your first scheduled game. You may email these documents prior to your team’s arrival to Zac Bissell at email@example.com
· Teams must be ready to play 30 minutes prior to game time.
· Game time is 70 minutes, complete the inning (unless the home team is winning). No new inning after
70 minutes. Championship games will be 90 minutes – finish the inning. Participants will be expected to hustle on and off the playing field. The mercy rule will be implemented as needed (see below/rulebook)
· Run Rule – 12 runs after 3 innings, 2 ½ if home team leads. 10 runs after 4, 3 ½ if home team leads, and 8 after 5, 4 ½ if home team leads
· Guest Player – 1 guest player per team is allowed. A guest player form must be placed on the signed roster prior to your first scheduled game.
· Ties –Pool play -remain tied, Bracket and Championship play- we will use the international tiebreaker.
· In the event of rain delay, all games will be on a 60 minutes finish the inning once play resumes and will stay on that schedule for the remaining games played that day. The game time will go back to 75 minutes on the following day only if the tournament is back on schedule. If it is not on schedule, we will remain on the 60-minutes time schedule for the remainder of that day to make it fair to all teams.
· Home/Away - before the start of each pool play game a representative from each team will meet the umpire at home plate for the coin toss. The winner will choose to be the home or away team. For the championship game/bracket play the higher seed will get their choice of home or away. If the seeding is a tie, then a coin toss will occur.
· Game Rules - the rules in the ASA handbook will apply. To review the rules and regulations go to https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball.
· Reporting Scores- Immediately following each game, umpires will confirm scores and the winning coach will text the score to designated on site tournament official (Zac Bissell – 330-808-1814) following the confirmation process. Brackets will be updated on the Tourney Machine website and posted at Firestone Stadium Concourse. In order to keep the pools and brackets updated, it is extremely important that the score is reported in a timely manner.
· Changes and updates will be reported directly to the team contact identifies in your registration form.
FACILITY/FIELD INFORMATION AND POLICIES
· No pregame warm-up is permitted on the playing fields. Teams may take ground balls behind the bags.
· Firestone Stadium – batting cage & grass area between the two diamonds can be used for pregame warm-up; the four bullpens located in centerfield at Firestone are to be shared by the teams currently playing; immediately following the conclusion of the game, the next two teams may use the bullpens.
· Pony Field - hitting warmup is permitted in the grass area between the two diamonds; grass areas outside the playing field can be used for throwing only; no batting practice is permitted in order to protect fans from injury.
· Diamond Crystal- hitting warmup is permitted in the grass area behind the homerun fence.
· Logan Fields- hitting warmup is permitted in the grass areas behind the homerun fence.
Parking and Field Addresses – There is no additional charge for parking
Firestone and Pony Fields – 1575 Firestone Parkway. Akron, Ohio 44301
· ALL BUSES - Please park on Wilbeth Road after dropping off players at Firestone/Pony Fields.
· Buses are not permitted to park in the surface lot adjacent to Firestone Stadium.
Diamond Crystal Field – 175 Edwin Ave. Akron, Ohio 44301
Logan Fields – 61 Vaughn Rd. Akron, Ohio 44319
· Surface lots, including the IBEW Local 306 office are available. Parking is not allowed in the grass areas on Vaughn Rd. If you park in the grass you will be towed at your expense.
Admission – This is a ticketed event.
· Adults are $5.00 and Students are $3.00. Tickets allow admission ALL DAY at all fields. Spectators will be asked to present this ticket to enter all field locations.
· Coaches will check-in at the ticket table located at each field. (previously submitted coaches list for up to
Concessions – Concessions will be available at Firestone Stadium providing a variety of concession items throughout the weekend.
Restrooms – Handicap accessible restrooms and/or Handicap portable toilets are available at each field.
· NO FOOD, BEVERAGES, OR PETS may be brought into Firestone Stadium/Pony Field complex.
· NO Grills or tailgating is permitted in the parking lots or surrounding areas at all playing sites.
· NO Seeds/Nuts are prohibited at Firestone Stadium (It causes issues with our drainage system.)
· NO Music at Diamond Crystal Field. Due to the close proximately to a residential area, no music is permitted. Please be respectful to our neighboring families.
· Bridgestone Property is private property. We are not permitted on their premises for warm-ups/picnicking/etc.
Tournament T-Shirts – There will be a limited amount of tournament t-shirts available for purchase at Firestone Stadium.
Hotel Information –
- There are four ways you can book your room(s) under the Akron Racers Foundation official partner rate - The booking link, corporate code, calling in to the Hilton central reservations 1-877-782-9444 or the hotel directly at 330-966-4907 option 2.
- Booking Link: https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/gi/reservation/book.htm?ctyhocn=CAKAPGI&corporateCode=3129282&from=lnrlink
- Directions for using the Corporate Code: log on to the hotel website at www.akroncantonairport.hgi.com, pick dates of stay, click "Add special rates codes", Add Corporate Code ID: 3129282
- After booking your block of rooms, please email Heather Labut, Director of Sales, with your team name, dates and the number of rooms your team blocked. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- All teams that are tax exempt need to call Heather Labut at the Hilton Garden Inn Akron Canton Airport directly to mark the group rooms tax exempt status.
Airport shuttle service: We offer a 24/7 complimentary shuttle to and from the airport. There is a direct line to our hotel at the phone board by baggage claim.